If you find your pet with a potentially toxic substance, immediately remove him from the area. Consider putting him in another room that you know is safe. This prevents him from ingesting any more of the toxic substance. Observe him for a moment or two, or ask a family member to stay with him, to ensure that your pet is acting and breathing relatively normally. Then, go back to collect a sample of the poisonous substance in a plastic bag. Gather any packaging that may have come with the substance too. In the event that you have to take your pet to the veterinarian, this will be vital evidence.
If your pet vomits and you suspect that it’s due to poisoning, take a sample of this in a plastic bag. This may prove helpful in the event of a vet visit. Even if your dog or cat appears to be feeling fine and behaving normally, you’ll want to keep samples of what you believe he ingested. Sometimes, the symptoms of poisoning do not manifest for hours or even days after ingestion. Your pet’s normal behavior should not prevent you from taking further steps to ensure his health.
It is important that you not try to administer any home remedies, nor is it advisable for you to try to induce vomiting. These measures often don’t work, and sometimes they make the situation even more hazardous for your pet. It is far better to seek the immediate attention of your vet or a local emergency veterinary hospital.
Taken from the original article "What To Do If Your Pet Has Been Poisoned" by A Place for Animals (What To Do If Your Pet Has Been Poisoned. (2017, January 08). Retrieved March 29, 2017, from https://www.aplaceforanimals.com/what-to-do-if-your-animal-has-been-poisoned/)
Image from pixabay.com / garis villarreal